What do I need to know about the Blue Cross networks?
Who is this for?
This gives you information about our networks that will help when you need to choose or go to a doctor or hospital.
Because your health plan’s network can affect your choice of doctors, network is an important term to know. A network is a group of health care professionals and facilities that agrees to provide service to customers of a health insurance plan. Here are a few things you need to know about networks.
- What you pay for your care is determined by your doctor or hospital being part of our network. You save money if you see a doctor in our network.
- You may pay more, or even the entire cost of a service, if you see a doctor not in our network.
- Blue Cross has the largest network of doctors and hospitals in the state. Your specific plan tells you how you can use this network. For example, if your plan uses the Select HMO network, you need to choose a primary care physician within certain counties.
Learn more by choosing your plan's network below. If you don't see your plan listed and have a question, call the Customer Service number on the back of your member ID card and we'll help.
PPO network (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan plans)
A PPO, or preferred provider organization, has a broad network of doctors and hospitals. You don’t need referrals to see a specialist. You can choose any doctor you want, both in- and out-of-network, and still be covered. But you’ll pay less when you go to a health care professional or facility in our network.
HMO networks (Blue Care Network plans)
When you have HMO or health maintenance organization coverage, you choose a primary care physician from your plan's network. That physician coordinates your care and provides referrals to specialists also in the network. If you already have a primary care physician, you'll want to check if they are in your plan's network. Care from doctors and hospitals outside the network isn't covered except in an emergency.
- How can I find out if my doctor is in my plan's network?
- What's the difference between HMO and PPO plans?
- What's the difference between in-network and out-of-network benefits?
- Individual and family health insurance - check out our MyBlue℠ plan options designed to fit your health care needs and your budget.