Managing change. Keeping it real.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan will host the 13th annual Healthy Safety Net Symposium. The event will take place on Monday, Oct. 16, 2023, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Lansing West Hotel in Lansing.
Leaders of Michigan free clinics, Federally Qualified Health Centers, Rural Health Centers, hospitals, public health providers, school-based health centers and other safety net health care organizations are invited to attend.
Healthy Safety Net 2023 will bring together more than 250 of Michigan’s leading safety net advocates. We’ll reconvene to focus on what’s new and what’s changing in safety net health care delivery and on opportunities to partner with state and local leaders to address racial and rural health disparities.
We will discuss Medicaid redetermination and share strategies for meeting the needs of patients and families who rely on the safety net for medical, dental and behavioral health care.
The agenda will include topics such as street medicine and other behavioral health care resources, diversity, inclusion and no-cost health care treatment. There will also be opportunities to explore innovations in access to affordable health care, low-cost clinics, health insurance and controlling health care costs.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Meghan Groen, senior deputy director, Behavioral and Physical Health and Aging Services Administration
- Stanley Stinson, nurse, Kate Crombez, board member, Detroit Street Outreach
- Ninah Sasy, director, Policy and Planning, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Marti Walsh, MD, senior medical director and associate CMO for Provider Engagement, Clinical Partnerships, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Todd Anderson, director, Public Policy, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Anthony Pantaleo, EMS opioid outreach coordinator, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Continuing education contact hours are available for physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and social workers. Scroll to the Continuing education credits section of the website for more information.
There's no fee for the symposium, but registration is required. Space is limited.
Monday, Oct. 16, 2023, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Lansing West Hotel in Lansing, MI.
This year’s symposium will focus on emerging policy, best practices and compelling partnerships.
Who should attend?
We encourage you to register your organization’s decision-makers, such as your CEO, executives and medical directors. Also consider registering your board chair, a board member or a community partner.
There's no fee for the symposium. Registration is required. Space is limited.
2023 Speaker presentations
- Back to the Future: Achieving Health Equity Through Health Informatics and Digital Health
- Blue Cross Virtual Well-Being Webinars
- COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Transition Roadmap
- Diversity Science and the Dignity in Pregnancy and Childbirth Course
- Health Equity | Region 9
- Health Fund 2022 Behavior Health Access Study
- Healthy Michigan Plan Interim Report
- Medicaid Unwinding in Michigan (PDF)
- Michigan Clinical Consultation & Care (MC3) Program Overview (PDF)
- Michigan Coronavirus Racial Disparities Task Force, Recommendations for Collaborative Policy, Programming and Systemic Change
- Michigan Maternal Mortality Surveillance - Review Committee Recommendations
- Michigan's Path to a Prosperous Future: Challenges and Opportunities - Citizens Research Council of Michigan
- Maternal Deaths in Michigan, 2011-2015
- Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
- Point-of-Care Testing to Support a Street Medicine Program in Caring for the Homeless | The Journal of Applied Laboratory Medicine
- Resources to Help Select Behavioral Health and Wellness Mobile Applications
- The State of Mental Health in America
- Trauma Informed Care, Free Materials | Region 9
- U.P. Healthcare Workforce Assessment
Continuing education credits
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Minnesota Medical Association and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. The Minnesota Medical Association (MMA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Minnesota Medical Association designates this live activity for a maximum of 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course is approved by NASW-Michigan
This approval statement is for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
Course Title: Health Safety Net 2023: Managing Change. Keeping it Real
Approval Number: 092523-00
# CE Hours approved: 5
Type of Course: In Person
Event date: October 16, 2023 at Crowne Plaza Lansing West
We've partnered with a diverse group of safety net experts to plan this year's symposium. We're grateful for their contributions.
Michigan Center for Rural Health
Blue Cross Complete
Honor Community Health
Elise M. Bur
Northern Michigan University Center for Rural Health
Ethel & James Flynn Foundation
Michigan Primary Care Association
Michigan Association of United Ways
Free Clinics of Michigan
Ruth Rashid Kaleniecki
Metro Health Foundation
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Social Mission
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Social Mission
Michigan Health Endowment Fund
Center for Health & Research Transformation, University of Michigan
Meghan Sifuentes Vanderstelt
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Michigan Health & Hospital Association
ACCESS Community Health & Research Center
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
For questions about the symposium, email us.