Health Care Reform
The Affordable Care Act changes how health care is financed, delivered and regulated. What does it mean for you? Read our frequently asked questions below to stay informed on all the latest changes in health care reform.
Select a topic below to learn more.
Frequently asked questions
How the Health Insurance Marketplace works
- What does health care reform mean for me?
Understand more about health care reform and what it means to you.
- What’s the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Learn more about how the Health Insurance Marketplace creates a new and transparent method of buying health insurance.
- Will Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan participate in the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Learn more about our participation in the Marketplace, which opened Oct. 1, 2013.
- Does the health care reform law require everyone to buy health insurance?
Get more information about how health care reform is designed to make health care affordable and available to Americans.
- I’m currently uninsured. How does health care reform help me?
You can use the Health Insurance Marketplace to shop for a 2014 health plan.
Managing your coverage
- How does health care reform affect coverage of pre-existing conditions?
Are you a Michigan resident with pre-existing conditions? Find options for health insurance under the new health reform laws.
- I don’t want to lose the coverage I have today. What can I do?
You don’t have to worry about losing coverage with us because of health care reform.
- What does health care reform mean for young adults?
If you’re a young adult, this information explains how health care reform will make it easier for you to get health insurance.
- How do I get help paying for health insurance?
If you’re looking for individual health insurance, this information will explain how health care reform can help you pay for it.
- What’s the Federal Poverty Level?
We can help you understand how the Federal Poverty Level is calculated by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- If I’m nearing 65, what does health care reform mean for me?
If you’re enrolled—or thinking about enrolling—in Medicare, we can help you understand how your coverage will be affected by health care reform.
- What can I expect from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan during health care reform?
We’re implementing the new health care laws with your best interest in mind. Our team of experts stay up-to-date on the latest regulations to make sure we’re prepared for the future.
- Where can I get more information about health care reform?
Find out where to go learn more about health care reform and the Affordable Care Act.
Calculators and Tools
- Health Insurance Tax Estimator
You can use our estimator to see a breakdown of the federal and state taxes and fees you'll be paying with your health insurance in 2014.
- Health Insurance Taxes and Fees FAQ for Individuals
This explains the new line for federal and state taxes and fees you'll see on your 2014 bill or quote from us.