How Do I Get Durable Medical Equipment for My Medicare Plan?

If your doctor says you need durable medical equipment, or DME, here’s what you need to know about how to buy or rent it.

If you’re managing a health condition or recovering from an operation, you might need DME. Durable medical equipment includes things like wheelchairs, oxygen machines, walkers and hospital beds.

Your doctor will write a prescription for the items you need. 

Coverage for DME

Does my Medicare Advantage plan cover DME?

All Medicare Advantage plans cover basic equipment for you to use at home. If you need something more advanced, your plan may still cover it if your doctor says it’s medically necessary.

Usually, you’ll only be responsible for paying coinsurance for your DME. Each plan covers durable medical equipment a little differently.

  • Some plans only cover certain brands or equipment from specific manufacturers.
  • Some plans require you to pay a deductible before they begin to pay for your durable medical equipment.

You can learn more about what your plan covers by logging in to your online member account.

Does my Medicare supplement plan cover DME?

Medicare supplement plans don't cover durable medical equipment.

However, Medicare Part B covers a range of DME if it's prescribed by your primary care provider, is medically necessary and is purchased from an authorized seller. Additionally, the DME has to meet the following criteria:

  • Serves a medical purpose
  • Is appropriate for at-home use
  • Is likely to last for three years or more
  • Is durable and made to withstand repeated usage

Medicare Part B typically covers 80% of the approved cost, and you are responsible for the remaining 20% coinsurance as well as any applicable deductibles.

Go to to find a provider.

Where can I buy or rent DME?

Northwood Inc. fills prescriptions for durable medical equipment for all Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network individual Medicare Advantage plans. This includes prescriptions for diabetic supplies, prosthetics, orthotics and all other durable medical equipment. 

To find a provider near you:

Call 1-800-667-8496
TTY users call 711
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET
Monday through Friday 

If you have a Medicare Plus BlueSM PPO plan, you can get your diabetes monitoring supplies through any supplier.

You can also use Find a Doctor to locate DME providers near you, or call the Customer Service number on the back of your member ID card. 


Important information about Medicare supplement plans

This is a solicitation of insurance. We may contact you about buying insurance. Blue Cross Medicare Supplement plans aren't connected with or endorsed by the U.S. government or the federal Medicare program.

Still need help?

We're just a phone call away.

Contact us

Was this helpful?

Let us know if we answered your question.