What Should I Know About Michigan's No-Fault Auto Insurance Law as a Medicare Member?

If you're a Medicare member living in Michigan, it's important to understand how the state's no-fault auto insurance law may impact your health coverage. 

What are the changes to Michigan's no-fault auto law? 

Under Michigan's no-fault auto insurance law, you're no longer required to purchase unlimited personal injury protection, also known as PIP, with your auto insurance. Instead, you now have the option to choose from different levels of PIP coverage to meet your needs.

The level of PIP coverage you choose is important because PIP can cover services that Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage may not, such as transportation to and from medical appointments, vehicle modifications, long-term and custodial care and household services. 

What information might my auto insurance agent request?

Your auto insurance agent may request a qualified health coverage document as proof you meet the requirements for health coverage. They may also ask for a coordination of benefits letter that shows how your health insurance and auto insurance work together to pay auto accident claims.

You may find both of these documents in your online member account. Or you can call the number on the back of your member ID card and request these documents.

Who pays first in the event of an auto accident?

In Michigan, your auto insurance generally pays first for accident-related medical expenses. Then your Medicare coverage pays any additional costs for Medicare-covered services not covered by your auto insurance. This is true for both Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage members. 

Where can I find a subrogation form? 

Subrogation is the process of getting the responsible party's insurance company to pay when someone is injured. It allows your auto and medical insurance to coordinate who pays for your care. 

If you've received a letter from us, log in to your member account to complete the form. Or you can fill out the Subrogation Request Questionnaire (PDF) and either mail or fax it to us following the directions on the form. 

What if I have an accident outside of Michigan?

If you're a Michigan resident and have an accident outside of Michigan, your auto insurance and Medicare coverage should still provide protection. However, the specifics may vary depending on your policy and the state where the accident occurs. 

Talk to your insurance agent to better understand your coverage. 

Where can I get more information?

Your auto insurance agent can help if you have questions about how the changes to the no-fault auto law affect your auto coverage. 

Since the no-fault auto insurance law is not a health insurance law, you should discuss auto or PIP coverage with your auto insurance agent.

The Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) can also help answer your questions.

Website: www.michigan.gov/autoinsurance

Phone: 1-833-275-3437
TTY users call 711

Email: autoinsurance@michigan.gov


Still need help?

We're just a phone call away.

Contact us

Related forms and documents

Subrogation Request Questionnaire (PDF)
If Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan asked you to fill out a subrogation letter, this is the document you need to complete.
View all

Was this helpful?

Let us know if we answered your question.