How Medicare Works
Want to know more about Medicare? This is a great place to start. We cover the basics like what it is and who's eligible. And we help you understand some of the important concepts. You'll learn what the different parts mean, how Original Medicare is different from Medicare Advantage and more.
Frequently asked questions
- What is Medicare?
Are you getting ready to enroll in a Medicare plan? Find out how to sign up, what parts A, B, C and D cover, what it costs and more.
- Who is eligible for Medicare?
Age is just one factor that determines Medicare eligibility. Learn more about signing up for Medicare health insurance.
- What do Medicare Parts A, B, C and D mean?
Are you confused about how the different parts of Medicare work? Find out what each one pays for and which ones might work for you.
- What are Medicare Part D prescription drug plans?
Do you need prescription drug coverage with your Medicare plan? Learn how to sign up for Part D and how much it costs.
- HMO, PPO, POS: What do all these acronyms mean?
Medicare terms can be confusing. Learn what each of our plan's acronyms stand for and which one could be right for you.
- What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?
Learn how these government programs are different, and how to know whether you’re eligible for one or both of them.
- What is the difference between Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage?
Each of these health insurance plans have different benefits, costs and coverage. Learn the difference and whether Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage is right for you.
- What do Medicare supplement plans cover?
Medigap works a little differently than other Medicare plans. Learn what benefits are available with supplement insurance.
- How do copays, coinsurance and deductibles work with Medicare plans?
Learn what some of the most common terms in Medicare health insurance mean, and how they affect what you'll pay for health care.
- Did the Affordable Care Act change Medicare?
The Affordable Care Act has brought a lot of changes to health care. Find out how it affects Medicare health insurance.
- How is Medicare different from other health insurance?
If you used to get health coverage through your employer or through a health insurance company, this article will help you understand what will change when you sign up for Medicare.
- Can I get Medicare coverage if I don't sign up for Social Security at 65?
Not planning to sign up for Social Security when you turn 65? Find out what to do about Medicare coverage.
- What are my rights as a Medicare customer?
Whether you're a Medicare member or customer, there are certain rules that your insurance companies need to follow. Learn more about them here.