Collaborative Quality Initiatives
Hospital Collaborative Quality Initiatives
These programs address some of the most common and costly areas of surgical and medical care. Multiple facilities collect and share data to improve the delivery and quality of care. This collaboration leads to a more robust analysis of the link between processes and outcomes of care.
Collaborative Quality Initiatives, or CQIs, empower providers to assess and optimize care. They do this by identifying ways to bring care into better alignment with best practices. This leads to improved quality and lower costs for specific high cost, high frequency and highly complex procedures.
Michigan physicians and hospital partners develop and administer CQIs. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network fund and support them. CQIs work to improve quality and develop best practices. They focus on areas of care that are highly technical, rapidly evolving and associated with scientific uncertainty.
Professional Collaborative Quality Initiatives
Our professional CQIs involve hundreds of primary care physicians and specialists throughout Michigan. They focus on improving care processes, including treatment plans and patient care as they move from a hospital to an ambulatory care setting.
In Professional CQIs, physicians representing one or more specialty groups across the state collect, share and analyze data. They then identify best practices and implement changes to improve patient care outcomes.
Collaborative Process Initiatives
Most of the key components of Collaborative Quality Initiatives and Collaborative Process Initiatives, or CPIs, are the same. CPIs focus on a specific set of processes of care already known to yield good outcomes and work to implement them. This is in contrast to CQIs, which focus on using participating hospitals to generate new knowledge about optimal care. CQIs also observe variations in processes already known to yield good outcomes.
There are more than 20 initiatives, which are listed below.
- Anesthesiology Performance Improvement and Reporting Exchange — new for 2015
- BCBSM Cardiovascular Consortium — Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- BCBSM Cardiovascular Consortium — Vascular Interventions Collaborative
- Hospital Medicine Safety
- Michigan Anticoagulation Quality Improvement Initiative
- Michigan Arthroplasty Registry Collaborative Quality Improvement
- Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative
- Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative
- Michigan Emergency Department Improvement Collaborative — new for 2015
- Michigan Radiation Oncology Quality Consortium
- Michigan Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons Quality Collaborative
- Michigan Spine Surgery Improvement Collaborative
- Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative
- Michigan Trauma Quality Improvement Program
- Michigan Value Collaborative
- Genetic Testing Resource and Quality Consortium — new for 2015
- Michigan Urological Surgery Improvement Collaborative
Hybrid CQIs (contains both hospital and professional participants)
- Integrated Michigan Patient-Centered Alliance on Care Transitions — new for 2015
- Lean for Clinical Redesign
- Michigan Oncology Clinical Treatment Pathways
- Michigan Oncology Quality Consortium
- Michigan Pharmacists Transforming Care and Quality — new for 2015
For more information, please go to valuepartnerships.com.