The Patient-Centered Medical Home - Neighbor Program
Together with our physician and physician organization partners, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has the largest Patient-Centered Medical Home program in the country. The PCMH program is transforming the health care system into a model of efficient, cost-effective care that’s centered on the patient.
A PCMH is a care team led by a primary care physician that:
- Focuses on the health needs of each patient
- Coordinates patient care across all settings
- Provides enhanced access to care
In a 2010 paper, The American College of Physicians identified the important role of specialty practices as PCMH-Neighbors within the PCMH model.
A PCMH-N practice engages in processes that:
- Ensure effective communication, coordination and integration with PCMH practices
- Ensure efficient flow of information, including timely consultations and referrals
- Effectively guide the determination of responsibility in comanagement situations
- Support enhanced access and patient-centered, high-quality care
In collaboration with the PGIP physician organizations, we're encouraging specialists to adopt practices and capabilities that support the PCMH-N approach.