Why are preventive services important?
Who is this for?
This information can help you understand what preventive services are and how they can help you stay healthy.
One of the best ways to stay healthy is to lead a healthy lifestyle. Preventive services can help with that.
Preventive services are designed to prevent or detect health problems. Some examples include annual health checkups, wellness screenings and immunizations.
Preventive services keep you healthy
Immunizations and flu shots can stop illnesses before they have a chance to start. That one trip to the doctor can save you many more down the road.
Health screenings and wellness exams can discover problems you may not know you have. Finding them early before they have a chance to get worse means they’ll be easier and cheaper to treat. These preventive services can potentially save your life.
Women’s Preventive Care
Because of the Affordable Care Act, some women-specific services are now covered by many health insurance plans. They include:
- Screenings for gestational diabetes, sexually transmitted infections, cervical cancer, breast cancer and more
- Education, counseling and prescriptions for birth control and sterilization
- Breastfeeding support, supplies and counseling
- Domestic violence screening and counseling
Preventive services are free
You won’t have to worry about a copay, coinsurance or your deductible, as long as you see an in-network doctor and your visit is just about preventive care.
You might have to pay out-of-pocket expenses if:
- You receive other services during the same visit that are not preventive
- The services are used to treat, diagnose or monitor an illness, injury or health problem
Want more information?