Autism coverage FAQ
Who is this for?
If your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network plan has the autism benefit, this gives information and answers you may find helpful.
On Oct. 15, 2012, we expanded our coverage of the diagnosis and treatment of autism. For anyone affected by these challenging, complex disorders, this is good news.
Because of the changes, our members have had a lot of questions. Here’s what you need to know about the autism benefit.
Tip: Some group plans may have different coverage for autism. How can you find out what benefits you have?
- What conditions are covered?
Find out what kinds of disorders are covered by the autism benefit.
- What services are covered?
The autism benefit covers these services and treatments.
- Are prescription drugs for autism covered?
Your plan's current pharmacy benefit will apply.
- What is applied behavior analysis?
This specialized treatment is used to help children with autism spectrum disorders.
- How do I get applied behavior analysis services?
We have a guide to help you know what you need to do.
- What's an Approved Autism Evaluation Center?
These centers must meet certain standards to be approved by us.
- What's a board-certified behavior analyst?
Professionals who provide applied behavior analysis are certified by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board.
- How do I find an approved center or a certified analyst?
You can use this info to find an Approved Autism Evaluation Center or board-certified behavior analyst.