Autism Coverage FAQ
Who is this for?
If your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network plan has the autism benefit, this gives information and answers you may find helpful. Select a question from the list below to learn more.
On Oct. 15, 2012, we expanded our coverage of the diagnosis and treatment of autism. For anyone affected by these challenging, complex disorders, this is good news.
Because of the changes, our members have had a lot of questions. Here’s what you need to know about the autism benefit.
TIP: Some group plans may have different coverage for autism. How can you find out what benefits you have?
- Go to Member Secured Services using this link or the Login tab on the blue bar above. If you're not sure where to look after that, here are some instructions.
- If you have health insurance through your employer, you can ask your HR department.
- Call the number on the back of your enrollee ID card and we'll help.
- What conditions are covered?
Find out what kinds of disorders are covered by the autism benefit.
- What services are covered?
The autism benefit covers these services and treatments.
- Are prescription drugs for autism covered?
Your plan's current pharmacy benefit will apply.
- What is applied behavior analysis?
This specialized treatment is used to help children with autism spectrum disorders.
- How do I get applied behavior analysis services?
We have a guide to help you know what you need to do.
- What's an Approved Autism Evaluation Center?
These centers must meet certain standards to be approved by us.
- What's a board-certified behavior analyst?
Professionals who provide applied behavior analysis are certified by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board.
- How do I find an approved center or a certified analyst?
You can use our list to find an Approved Autism Evaluation Center or board-certified behavior analyst.
- How long is the wait for an appointment at an AAEC?
This explains why you may have to wait a while to get an evaluation at an AECC.
- Why aren't there more approved centers and certified analysts on our list?
We're working to build our network to meet our members' needs.