How Health Insurance Works
Have questions about how health insurance works? You've come to the right place. We've covered the basics of health insurance for you below. We explain the differences between deductibles, coinsurance and copays, in-network and out-of-network benefits, HMO and PPO plans and more.
Frequently asked questions
- How do deductibles, coinsurance and copays work?
This page defines the common terms deductible, coinsurance and copay, and explains how they affect your health care costs.
- How to understand deductibles and their impact on premiums
Learn how the deductible you choose affects how much your health insurance premium will be.
- What is coinsurance?
This explains the practice of having you share the cost of health services with your insurance company.
- How do out-of-pocket maximums work?
Learn how out-of-pocket maximums affect your annual health care budget.
- What’s the difference between in-network and out-of-network benefits?
Learn how choosing between in-network or out-of-network doctors and facilities can affect how much you pay for your health care services.
- What’s the difference between HMO and PPO plans?
Find out what makes HMOs and PPOs unique so you can choose the one that’s right for your health care needs.