How do online doctor visits work with my Blue Cross plan?
Who is this for?
If your Blue Cross plan includes 24/7 online health care through Amwell™, powered by American Well®, this information will help you learn how to use it.
There’s never a convenient time to get sick. Now you can get 24/7 online health care for minor illnesses from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Who can use 24/7 online health care?
Log into your account at bcbsm.com and look under What's Covered. Then see if your plan covers online visits through Amwell™, powered by American Well®. HMO members should check under PCP visits in What's Covered.
If your Blue Cross plan covers virtual doctor visits, you or anyone on your plan can use the service.
It isn't covered by Medicare or Medicaid plans.
When to use the service
You can use it for minor illnesses such as:
- Sinus and respiratory infections
- Colds, flu and seasonal allergies
- Eye irritation or redness
- Strains and sprains
Save time and money
Your primary doctor is still your best option for treatment. Many have evening, weekend or online appointments.
But 24/7 online health care can be helpful when your own doctor isn't available because it is:
- Convenient. You don’t have to leave your home to get medical care. If you’re traveling, you can access an online doctor almost anywhere in the U.S. View this map for information on where you can find online doctors.
- Affordable. If it’s covered by your Blue Cross plan, these visits cost the same or less than a regular office visit.
- Quick. The average wait time is about 3 minutes and the average call is about 10 minutes, although a doctor will spend as much time as necessary.
- Easy. Once you’ve used the service, you can use your account at bcbsm.com to track all of your claims information.