What is the difference between group and individual coverage?
Who is this for?
You’ll need this information if you currently receive insurance through your employer and you’re shopping for individual health insurance.
Group and individual health insurance policies differ in how they’re purchased.
You get group insurance through your employer. You buy individual health insurance directly from a health insurance company.
And even though they’re called individual health insurance plans, they can be for one person or a whole family.
How does it work?
With group insurance, your employer:
- Offers you a selection of health insurance plans
- Pays for some or all of your monthly premium
- Answers questions about your health insurance coverage
With individual insurance, you:
- Choose your insurance company and plan
- Work directly with an agent or an insurer to purchase your policy
- Pay all of your monthly premium costs
- Get to know and manage all of your health insurance coverage information