Buying Health Insurance
Shopping for health insurance?
Whether you're a recent college graduate buying insurance for the first time or an employee transitioning from your company’s insurance plan to one of your own, we're here to help you choose the right coverage for you and your family.
Before you purchase a plan, you’ll want to find out what kind of plan works best for your individual health and financial needs. Select a topic below to learn before you buy.
You can also find plan information under our individual and family plans.
Frequently asked questions
- Is individual health insurance right for me?
If one of these situations apply to you, you can meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act by purchasing your own health plan.
- What's the difference between group and individual coverage?
Learn how group and individual coverage are different so you can choose the right health insurance plan.
- How to purchase individual health insurance
Find out how we can help you make sense of your options when it comes to buying health insurance.
- Buying Individual Health Insurance FAQ
If you’re in the market for individual health insurance, these frequently asked questions will help you understand the differences between our plans.
- How can I lower my health insurance cost?
Learn what steps you can take to save money on health insurance.
- How can I know I'm purchasing the right health insurance policy?
Find out what you need to consider when you're trying to decide on the best health plan for you and your family.
- Health Coverage Tax Credit FAQ
Learn more about the Health Care Tax Credit, or HCTC, and see if you qualify.
- How to use Coverage Advisor
If you are shopping for health insurance plans, learn how Coverage Advisor can help you choose the health care plan that’s right for you.
- Am I eligible for a health insurance subsidy?
This explains how to find out if you can get help paying for your health insurance in 2014.
- What individual health insurance plans are available?
Whether you're age 25 and thinking about starting a family or you're age 65 and thinking about joining Medicare, we have a plan for you.
- What’s the difference between bronze, silver and gold plans?
Learn about our new metal tier plans for individuals and families and how they're different from each other.
- How can I get advice when shopping for insurance?
We'll tell you how to get in touch with experts who can help you purchase the right health plan.
- How can I qualify for a catastrophic plan?
Find out if you meet the requirements for purchasing a 2014 catastrophic plan.
- How does the size of my family impact my insurance cost?
Learn how the number of people covered by your individual and family plan affects what you pay for health insurance.
- What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Learn about the new government website where you can shop for health plans.
- What happens after I've enrolled and how do I pay my bill?
This explains what you can expect after you've enrolled in one of our plans, and tells you how to make a payment.
- What do I need to do to prepare to buy health insurance?
Choosing and purchasing the right health insurance plan is important. Here are steps you can take to be an informed consumer.
- What is the Advanced Premium Tax Credit and how does it work?
Learn about this subsidy that lowers what you pay each month for your health coverage.
Plan documents and forms
- Application for Individual Coverage
Fill out this application to enroll in one of our plans for individuals and families.
Calculators and tools
AskBlue is an interactive tool that guides you through the process of figuring out which health care plan is right for you.
- Coverage Advisor
Coverage Advisor helps you compare the cost of different plans and gives you personalized results based on how much you expect to use your health care in the coming year.
- Subsidy Estimator
If you buy your own health insurance, this tool will help you figure out if you can get help paying for it in 2014.