Buying Health Insurance
Shopping for health insurance?
Whether you're a recent college graduate buying insurance for the first time or an employee transitioning from your company’s insurance plan to one of your own, we're here to help you choose the right coverage for you and your family.
Before you purchase a plan, you’ll want to find out what kind of plan works best for your individual health and financial needs. Select a topic below to learn before you buy.
You can also find plan information under our individual and family plans.
Frequently asked questions
- How can I find out if my doctor is in my plan's network?
Learn how to find out if your doctor is in network before purchasing a new health care plan on healthcare.gov.
- Important deadlines for 2014 open enrollment
This explains the important dates to know for buying health insurance before open enrollment ends.
- Is individual health insurance right for me?
If one of these situations apply to you, you can meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act by purchasing your own health plan.
- What's the difference between group and individual coverage?
Learn how group and individual coverage are different so you can choose the right health insurance plan.
- How to purchase individual health insurance
Find out how we can help you make sense of your options when it comes to buying health insurance.
- How can I lower my health insurance cost?
Learn what steps you can take to save money on health insurance.
- How can I know I'm purchasing the right health insurance policy?
Find out what you need to consider when you're trying to decide on the best health plan for you and your family.
- Health Coverage Tax Credit FAQ
The Health Care Tax Credit, or HCTC, expired on Jan. 1, 2014. This information will help you if you purchased an HCTC-qualified health plan in 2013 or earlier.
- Am I eligible for a health insurance subsidy?
This explains how to find out if you can get help paying for your health insurance in 2014.
- What individual health insurance plans are available?
Whether you're age 25 and thinking about starting a family or you're age 65 and thinking about joining Medicare, we have a plan for you.
- What’s the difference between bronze, silver and gold plans?
Learn about our new metal tier plans for individuals and families and how they're different from each other.
- How can I get advice when shopping for insurance?
We'll tell you how to get in touch with experts who can help you purchase the right health plan.
- How can I qualify for a catastrophic plan?
Find out if you meet the requirements for purchasing a 2014 catastrophic plan.
- How does the size of my family impact my insurance cost?
Learn how the number of people covered by your individual and family plan affects what you pay for health insurance.
- What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Learn about the new government website where you can shop for health plans.
- What happens after I've enrolled and how do I pay my bill?
This explains what you can expect after you've enrolled in one of our plans, and tells you how to make a payment.
- What do I need to do to prepare to buy health insurance?
Choosing and purchasing the right health insurance plan is important. Here are steps you can take to be an informed consumer.
- What is the Advanced Premium Tax Credit and how does it work?
Learn about the Advanced Premium Tax Credit, a subsidy that lowers what you pay each month for your health coverage.
- Can I buy or change an individual or family plan?
This explains your options for shopping for and buying a new plan that will cover you and your family this year.