Buying Health Insurance
Shopping for health insurance?
Whether you're a recent college graduate buying insurance for the first time or transitioning from your company’s insurance plan to one of your own, we're here to help you choose the right coverage for you and your family.
Looking for specific plan information? See our individual and family plans.
How individual health insurance works
If you're used to getting insurance through an employer, buying your own is a change. Health care reform also changed individual and family health coverage. We'll help you understand it better so you can make the right choice.
- Is individual health insurance right for me?
If one of these situations apply to you, you can meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act by purchasing your own health plan.
- What's the difference between group and individual coverage?
Learn how group and individual coverage are different so you can choose the right health insurance plan.
- What’s the difference between bronze, silver, gold and platinum plans?
Learn about our new metal tier plans for individuals and families and how they're different from each other.
- How can I qualify for a catastrophic plan?
Find out if you meet the requirements for purchasing a catastrophic plan.
- How does the size of my family impact my insurance cost?
Learn how the number of people covered by your individual and family plan affects what you pay for health insurance.
- How do I change an individual or family plan?
This explains when and how you can change your Michigan health insurance plan.
- Do I qualify for a special enrollment period?
If you've had certain life changes you can buy or change your plan outside of open enrollment.
Making insurance more affordable
Most people are now required by the Affordable Care Act to have health insurance. The good news is if you buy your own health coverage, there are ways to make it more affordable. Find out how below.
- How can I lower my health insurance cost?
Learn what steps you can take to save money on health insurance.
- Am I eligible for a health insurance subsidy?
This explains how to find out if you can get help paying for your health insurance.
- What is the Advanced Premium Tax Credit and how does it work?
Learn about the Advanced Premium Tax Credit, a subsidy that lowers what you pay each month for your health coverage.
Before you buy a plan
Get the information and tips you need to find the best health coverage for you and your family before you shop.
- When can I buy an individual plan?
This explains open enrollment, the time each year when you can buy a Michigan health insurance plan for individuals and families.
- How can I get advice when shopping for insurance?
We'll tell you how to get in touch with experts who can help you purchase the right health plan.
- How can I find out if my doctor is in my plan's network?
Learn how to find out if your doctor is in network before purchasing a new health care plan on healthcare.gov.
- How to purchase individual health insurance
Find out how we can help you make sense of your options when it comes to buying health insurance.
- How can I know I'm purchasing the right health insurance policy?
Find out what you need to consider when you're trying to decide on the best health plan for you and your family.
- What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Learn about the new government website where you can shop for health plans.
After you buy a plan
Find out about what we do and steps you can take after you've purchased your health coverage.
- What happens after I've enrolled and how do I pay my bill?
This explains what you can expect after you've enrolled in one of our plans, and tells you how to make a payment.
Tools you'll need
These resources will help you apply for a plan, find a plan that fits you and your family and learn if you're eligible for a subsidy that lowers your costs.
- Subsidy Estimator
If you buy your own health insurance, this tool will help you figure out if you can get help paying for it.
- Confirmation of Qualifying Life Event Form
If you need to change your health plan outside of open enrollment, use this qualifying life event form to let us know why.
- Application for Individual Coverage
Fill out this application to enroll in one of our plans for individuals and families.
AskBlue is an interactive tool that guides you through the process of figuring out which health care plan is right for you.