How do I know if my plan covers my prescription drug?
Who is this for?
If you have prescription drug coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network, this information explains how to find out if your plan will pay for your medication.
You may have a lot of questions for your doctor when you visit. If the one question you forget to ask is “Will my plan cover the drug you’re prescribing?”—we’ll tell you how to get the answer.
If you're wondering if a medication is covered by your plan, you may be able to find out by logging in to your account at bcbsm.com. Here's what you need to do:
- After you've logged in, hover over My Coverage in the blue bar at the top of the page.
- Select Medical from the drop down.
- Click Prescription Drugs in the left-hand column.
- Click the link for Price a drug and view additional benefit requirements. It will take you directly to Express Scripts (formerly Medco). You won't have to log in again.
- Enter the name of the drug and follow the instructions. You'll need to know the dosage and how often you'll be taking it. You'll get an alert if the medication isn't covered by your plan.
Using a drug list
You can look at a drug list, also called a formulary, to see if your plan covers your medication. What’s a drug list? It’s a list of drugs approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network.