How can I find a pharmacy to fill my prescription?
Who is this for?
If you have prescription drug coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network and need a prescription filled, this information will help you find pharmacies in our network.
Are you familiar with the terms "in-network" and "out-of-network" when it comes to health insurance? Basically, when you choose a doctor or hospital in your plan's network, you pay less (you can also read this article to learn more).
Pharmacies work the same way. If you use an in-network pharmacy, you'll be responsible for your prescription drug copay, coinsurance or deductible. If you use an out-of-network pharmacy, you may have to pay the full cost of your medication.
Here's how you can find a participating (in-network) retail pharmacy near you. If you have any questions or need help, contact us.
How to locate a retail pharmacy
Most Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network members can search for a participating retail pharmacy by logging in to their account at bcbsm.com. Here's what you need to do:
- After you've logged in, hover over My Coverage in the blue bar at the top of the page.
- Select Prescription Drugs from the drop down.
- Scroll down to Where to go for care, and click Locate a retail pharmacy. The link will take you directly to Express Scripts. You won't have to log in again.
You can also look up pharmacies in our network. But you'll get the most up-to-date information by searching online through Express Scripts.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network participating pharmacies may save you money on prescription drugs with 90-day refills. Learn more by reading How to save money on prescription drugs.
Not all pharmacies fill 90-day prescriptions, also called a maintenance supply. How can you find one?
- When you search for a pharmacy on Express Scripts, it'll tell you after the pharmacy's name and address whether they dispense a maintenance supply.
- You can look on our list of Participating 90-Day Pharmacies (PDF). But, you'll get the most up-to-date information when you search through Express Scripts.
Medicare participating pharmacies
Find participating pharmacies for BCN Advantage℠ (Blue Care Network) and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO Medicare plans on our Medicare site.
Medicaid (Blue Cross Complete) participating pharmacies
Specialty drug pharmacies
Many retail pharmacies in our network can fill prescriptions for specialty drugs—but not all. It's a good idea to call ahead and ask. Learn more about specialty drugs and how to order them in this article.
Pharmacies outside of Michigan
Even when you're traveling, you can still find in-network pharmacies using Express Scripts' online search.
- If you need a prescription for specialty drugs while outside Michigan, here's a list of out of state specialty drug retail pharmacies (PDF).