Health Spending Accounts
Would you like to have more control over where your health care dollars go? Then high-deductible or consumer-directed health care plans might be for you. These plans usually have a higher deductible than a traditional plan, but they often have a lower premium. They can also be paired with a health spending account.
Health spending accounts come in three forms:
- Health savings account, or HSA
- Health reimbursement arrangement, or HRA
- Flexible spending account, or FSA
Each of these accounts works differently and comes with its own advantages.
Select a topic below to learn more.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the differences between HSA, HRA and FSA?
Understand the differences between a health savings account, a health reimbursement arrangement and a flexible spending account so you can save money on your health care costs.
Health savings accounts
- What is a health savings account?
Learn more about health saving accounts, which help you save money on taxes and have more say in what medical expenses you pay for.
- What are the advantages of an HSA?
What can an HSA do for you? Get information about how these accounts can help you pay for health care costs and more.
- How can I contribute to my HSA?
If you need to know how to contribute money to your HSA, you can learn about your options here.
- How can I use my HSA?
Learn how you can use your health savings account to pay for medical expenses.
- What happens to my HSA when I enroll in a new plan?
If you already have an HSA, find out what will happen to it when you enroll in a plan on or off the Marketplace.
- What medical expenses can I pay with my HSA?
Learn what qualifies as a medical expense that can be paid through your HSA.
Health reimbursement arrangements and flexible spending accounts
- How does a health reimbursement arrangement work?
Health reimbursement arrangements are employer-funded accounts. Get more info about how they can help you pay for health care costs here.
- How can I use my HRA?
If you've got a health reimbursement arrangement, find out more about its benefits and how it works.
- How does a flexible spending account work?
Flexible spending accounts help you set aside money for health care costs throughout the year. Find out if an FSA might be right for you.
- How can I use my FSA?
You can use the money in your flexible spending account for medical, dental, vision costs and more. Learn how here.
- How do the types of HRAs work?
If you have a group HMO plan with Blue Care Network, and your employer offers a health reimbursement arrangement, this can help you understand how yours works.
- Who is HealthEquity?
Learn more about our health financial services partner, HealthEquity.
- How does a HealthEquity HSA work with my Blue Cross plan?
Our HealthEquity HSA pairs with your HSA-compatible plan. Learn more about this health savings account and if it might be right for you.
- How do I enroll in a HealthEquity® HSA?
Get information on how to sign up for our HealthEquity HSA.
- Can I transfer my other health savings account to a HealthEquity HSA?
Find out how to transfer health savings from another account into your new HealthEquity HSA.
Calculators and tools
- Health Savings Account Calculators
Want to know if a health savings account is right for you? We have two different tools that can help you decide.