Healthy Blue FSASM account types
FSA account types
Here are the types of FSA accounts that may be offered by your employer:
- Health care
Allows you to set aside pre-tax money to pay for qualified medical expenses.
- Limited purpose
Enables you to set aside pre-tax money on an annual basis for eligible dental-only, vision-only or both dental and vision expenses when combined with a health savings account.
Coverage does not begin until the medical plan deductible is met. Usable with an HSA.
- Dependent care
Allows you to set aside pre-tax money on an annual basis for dependent care expenses only. The annual maximum contribution is $5,000 (or $2,500 if married and filing separate tax returns). Unlike the health care FSA, reimbursements may only be made up to the current available balance when the request is made. This type of FSA is not eligible for a debit card or automatic reimbursement.
- Parking and transportation
Reimburses you for qualified parking and transit fees.
Your employer may offer an FSA with an HRA or HSA in the following circumstances:
- A limited purpose FSA may be offered with an HSA or HRA.
- A post-deductible FSA may be offered with an HSA or HRA.
- A special purpose FSA may be offered with an HSA or HRA.
- Expenses may be reimbursed either through the FSA or HRA first; reimbursement through the HSA will always occur last.