Before your first visit with your doctor or primary care physician (PCP), you’ll want to make sure you have everything you need to keep them informed.
You can also print this page as a handy checklist to take with you: Preparing for your first appointment (PDF).
What to bring
- Any insurance cards for current coverage
- Your driver’s license or another valid photo ID
- A list of any prescription medications and vitamins you’re currently taking
- A copy of your medical records from your previous doctor or primary care physician; if you don’t have these, you can ask your previous doctor to send them
- Your health history, including chronic conditions and illnesses and previous surgeries
- A list of specialists you see
- A list of questions you’d like to ask, such as:
- How should I contact you when I have a question?
- Do you have an email address?
- What’s the best way to get a prescription refilled?
- How far in advance will I need to make an appointment?
- Where should I go if I need urgent or emergency care?
See what your plan covers before your appointment
Log in to your account, or register for one, on our website or using the mobile app. Go to My Coverage to see:
- Your office visit copay
- What you pay and what your plan pays
- The kinds of services your plan helps pay for
You can also call the number on the back of your Blue Cross ID card. If you’re a Blue Care Network HMO member, check your member handbook.