What are my rights as a Medicare customer?
Who is this for?
If you have questions about your rights as a Medicare customer, this information explains how you’re protected.
Did you know that federal law empowers you with certain rights when it comes to your health care?
Here’s what we’re required to do for you.
- Treat you with fairness and respect at all times.
- Ensure that you get timely access to your covered services and drugs.
- Protect the privacy of your personal health information.
- Give you information about your plan, the providers in your network and the services covered.
- Provide information in a way that works for you. For example, we have translation services for customers who speak English as their second language. And TTY users should call 711.
You have the right to:
- Know your treatment options and participate in decisions about your health care.
- Give instructions about what happens if you’re unable to make medical decisions for yourself.
- Make complaints and ask us to reconsider decisions we’ve made.
- File a grievance about anything from your doctor's office cleanliness to how we've handled certain situations.
If you feel your rights haven’t been protected, or if you have any questions, please call the number on the back of your Blues ID card.
You can also get help with your rights and protections from the Medicare Beneficiary Ombudsman, a person who reviews and helps you with your Medicare complaints.
As a member of one of our plans, you have some responsibilities too.
Don’t forget to:
- Pay your monthly premium(s).
- Tell us your new address if you move.
- Familiarize yourself with the services that are covered under your plan.
- Tell us if you have any other health insurance coverage or prescription drug coverage besides our plan. We’re here to help you coordinate the health and drug benefits you get from our plan with any other benefits available to you.
If you have any questions, we’re here to help. Just call the number on the back of your Blues ID card.