How can I choose a primary care physician for my HMO plan?
Who is this for?
If you're a BCN AdvantageSM HMO-POS or HMO member or thinking about becoming one, this information can help you choose or change your primary care physician.
All BCN Advantage members need a primary care physician. The doctor you select coordinates all your care. Here's how you can choose one, change the one you already have, or make sure they're in your plan network.
If you're considering or signing up for a BCN Advantage plan
Selecting a primary care physician is a big decision. When you're signing up for one of our BCN Advantage plans, you'll have the opportunity to select a primary care physician as part of the process. Be prepared ahead of time by doing some research. You'll want to make sure your primary care physician:
- Participates in your plan's network
- Accept new patients
- Speak your language
- Works at a convenient location
- Partners with your preferred hospitals or specialists
You can find answers to these questions and more using Find a Doctor. Select the "I want to find a Primary Care Physician in my plan" option on that page to begin. Enter your ZIP code and select Medicare. You'll also need to know the name of your plan.
Are you shopping and want to see if your current primary care physician accepts a BCN Advantage plan? Follow the instructions for using our Find a Doctor advanced search.
If you're already a BCN Advantage member
If you didn't select a primary care physician when you first bought your plan, or want to change your current one, it's easy to do online.
- Log in to your account at bcbsm.com.
- Once you've logged in, click Doctors & Hospitals in the blue bar at the top of the page.
- Click Primary Care Physicians in the left-hand column.
- Find the row associated with your name and click Change. You'll be taken to our Find a Doctor tool. Follow the instructions to find a primary care physician in your plan.
Don't have an account with us yet? It only takes a few minutes to register.
You can also change your primary care physician over the phone. Just call the number on the back of your Blues ID card and we'll help.