What do I need for my first trip to the pharmacy as a Medicare customer?
Who is this for?
If you're new to your Medicare plan, here's what you need to do before you go to the pharmacy.
You've probably been going to the pharmacy all your life. Now that you're a Medicare member, what's different? The truth is not a whole lot. Read the tips below to make sure you have everything you need.
Before you go
- Make sure your pharmacy is in your plan's network.
- Check your plan's drug list to make sure your drug is covered.
- Find out if your drug requires prior authorization or step therapy.
- Look up how much your out-of-pocket costs will be. This can help you budget and avoid surprises at the check-out counter.
If you're a member of one of our Medicare plans, you can do all of these things in the Prescription Drugs section of your online account. Log in to get started.
What you'll need
Make sure you bring these things with you to the pharmacy:
- A copy of the prescription from your doctor
- A list of any other prescriptions you're taking
- Any questions you have for the pharmacist
- Your insurance plan ID card
- A valid photo ID, like a driver’s license