Birth Qualifying Life Event
When you're making room in your heart and your home for a new addition, remember to make room on your policy too. If you're giving birth, adopting a child or becoming a guardian or foster parent, we can help you find the perfect plan for your growing family.
When can you apply for coverage?
If you had a qualifying event, you may be eligible for special enrollment. This is your chance to change your current plan or buy a new one for the current year. Special enrollment can occur during or after open enrollment.
You must apply within 60 days of the birth, adoption, or date you assumed responsibility for the dependent's health care. This means you can apply up to 60 days before the date reflected on the official paperwork, and up to 60 days after it.
What do you need to apply?
You will need one of the following:
- A birth certificate or an application for a birth certificate
- A foreign, military, medical, health insurance or religious birth record
- A signed adoption record
- A legal guardianship or home placement record
- A court or medical support order
- Signed foster care papers
ID and method of payment
- A social security number or tax ID number, and the date of birth for everyone who'll be covered by the plan
- A credit card if you want to make your first payment
Enroll nowFind a Plan
Our health plan advisors and agents can help you find and apply for the right plan to meet your needs and budget. They will also help you find out if you're eligible for a subsidy that lowers the cost of your plan.
Need help choosing a plan? Chat online. Call 1-855-237-3501.