How can I receive a waiver for the pre-existing waiting period?
Who is this for?
If you recently began coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and have a pre-existing condition, this information will help you apply for a waiver for the 180 day waiting period.
At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, we cover everyone, whether you have a pre-existing condition or not.
But, if you do have a pre-existing condition, you might have to wait before your new health care plan will cover it.
If you're age 19 or older, you'll have to wait 180 days before your individual health care plan will cover your pre-existing conditions, except for preventive care.
But there’s good news. You might be able to get that waiting period waived.
Am I eligible?
You can get your waiting period waived if all of the following apply to you:
- You had 18 months of continuous coverage with your old health care plan.
- Your most recent coverage was through an employer-sponsored group health care plan.
- If you could, you extended your previous health care plan through COBRA, and you used up all that coverage.
- You didn’t voluntarily cancel your previous health insurance.
- You’ve never had your health insurance canceled for fraud.
- You’ve never had your health insurance canceled because you didn’t pay your premium.
If you think you're eligible, fill out the Application for waiver of pre-existing condition waiting period.