What services for autism are covered?
The autism benefit covers these treatments and services:
- Applied behavior analysis, a specialized treatment for autism
- Physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy as part of treatment for autism
- Nutritional counseling as part of treatment for autism
- Other mental health services to diagnose and treat autism
- Other medical services used to diagnose and treat autism
- Outpatient mental health treatment
A few things you should know
- Certain steps are required before applied behavior analysis services will be covered.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan members: approval is only needed for applied behavior analysis.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan members: additional behavior analysis services may be covered even if you've reached the annual benefit age or dollar limit.
- Blue Care Network members: approval is required for all autism-related services except nutritional counseling.
- If autism is the primary diagnosis, visit limits don't apply for physical, occupational and speech therapy services used to treat autism.