It is important your child receives an accurate diagnosis and the most appropriate treatment plan. To get applied behavior analysis treatment, an Approved Autism Evaluation Center will need to:
- Make or confirm the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.
- Provide a treatment plan with a comprehensive set of treatment recommendations. Applied behavior analysis will only be covered if it's included in the treatment plan.
To schedule an appointment, check our list of Approved Autism Evaluation Centers (PDF). We update the list as more centers join our network.
If you have concerns about getting a diagnosis from an AAEC, contact one of the following based on your coverage.
- Blue Care Network behavior health: 1-800-482-5982
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan New Directions: 1-877-563-9347
Once you receive an autism diagnosis and a treatment plan recommendation, here's what you need to do to start applied behavior analysis.
- Find a board certified behavior analyst on bcbsm.com if you don't already have one. Your board-certified behavior analyst will need a treatment plan from the AAEC that recommends applied behavior analysis. The center can fax it to your analyst, or you can take the plan to the analyst yourself.
- If you didn't get a treatment plan that recommends applied behavior analysis, talk to the center.
- The board-certified behavior analyst must contact us to get approval before starting service.
- We'll send you a letter in the mail to let you know whether services are approved.
Blue Care Network members: If you have questions about getting applied behavior analysis services covered, please call the Behavioral Health Services number on the back of your ID card.
The board-certified behavior analyst my child is already seeing doesn't participate with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan members: Your applied behavior analysis services from a nonparticipating board-certified behavior analyst will be covered only if the analyst is registered with us. If the analyst isn't registered with us, ask them if they'd like to be. Keep in mind you may also be billed for the difference between what the analyst charges and the amount we pay for the services.
Blue Care Network members: Call the behavioral health phone number on the back of your ID card for more information.