How to apply for the Building Healthy Communities program
Who is this for?
This information explains what schools are eligible for the Building Healthy Communities program and how to apply.
Would you like to create an environment at your elementary school that supports and encourages healthy eating and physical activity? Could your students benefit from learning about healthy eating and physical activity?
You might be eligible for the Building Healthy Communities program. The transformation package is valued at $50,000 per school. It includes:
- Classroom curriculum
- Physical activity equipment
- Healthy eating resources
- Professional development
- On-site mentoring and technical assistance from a healthy school coordinator
What you need to know
- Public, charter or private nonprofit schools in Michigan may apply.
- Eligible schools must serve students in the fourth grade.
- Eligible schools must participate in the federal school meals program.
Preference will be given to schools:
- Located in these counties: Genesee, Huron, Ingham, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw and Wayne
- Where at least 35 percent of students are eligible for the federal free and reduced-price school meals program
Here's a list of the schools that participated in the 2012-2013 Building Healthy Communities program (PDF).