What are my options if I have to leave my group insurance?
If you need to leave your employer-sponsored plan, you have two options. You can choose COBRA or purchase an individual health insurance plan.
You qualify for insurance through COBRA if you are leaving a group of 20 or more and your health insurance was canceled within the last 60 days because:
- You were laid off
- You are working fewer hours than you used to
- Your employer ended your employment
- You ended your employment
In some circumstances, spouses and children can also qualify for COBRA coverage. This can happen:
- When a spouse or parent who receives coverage dies
- When a spouse or parent who receives coverage gets divorced
- When a spouse or parent who receives coverage becomes eligible for Medicare
- When a child of a parent who receives coverage is no longer eligible for dependent child status