Career Transitions FAQ
Who is this for?
If you're going through a career change, here you'll find details about your options for health insurance coverage.
Are you switching careers? Going into business for yourself? In the market for a new job? Your health care should make the transition with you.
This FAQ answers common questions about:
- Going from one employer-sponsored health care plan to another
- Replacing a employer-sponsored health care plan with an individual health care plan
- Getting an extension of your current health care coverage
If your question isn't answered here, scroll down to see if it's listed in the Related items box.
- What are my options if I have to leave my group insurance?
Learn about your choices if you need to leave your employer-sponsored plan.
- If I switch from my employer’s plan, will my individual insurance cover my pre-existing conditions?
Learn more about what happens when you switch from an employer-sponsored plan to an individual health insurance plan.
- When will my new coverage start?
Find out how we determine your effective date, which is the day your new insurance begins.
- Will the money I’ve already paid toward my current deductible transfer to my new plan?
Learn what happens to deductibles you've already paid when you switch plans.
- How can I find out if my current doctor takes my new insurance?
Learn how to check whether your doctor takes your new health plan, and if not, how to search for a doctor who does.
- If I enroll in an individual plan, what’ll happen when I get a new job?
If you want to switch from your individual plan to your new employer’s group plan, we'll show you how.