What are essential benefits?
Who is this for?
This information will help you if you're shopping for health insurance and have questions about what's included in every plan.
There are some health care benefits you can count on getting no matter what plan you choose. The Affordable Care Act requires that all plans cover essential health benefits for individual and family plans and small group plans.
All of our plans offer these required essential health benefits:
- Outpatient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder, including behavioral health treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric vision
Some of these benefits, like preventive services, will be paid at 100 percent with no copay. We'll pay for the other benefits after you meet your deductible. Depending on the plan you choose, you may still be responsible for paying a copay and coinsurance.
Read more about essential health benefits at healthcarereformbasics.com.
- What’s the difference between HMO, PPO and EPO plans?
- What do I need to know about the different Blues networks?
- Individual and family health insurance - check out our MyBlue plan options designed to fit your health care needs and your budget.
- Health Insurance 101: All about essential benefits and preventive care