Health Care Reform FAQ for Individuals
Who is this for?
If you're a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan member and have individual health insurance, this information will help you know how health care reform will affect you. Select a question from the list below to learn more.
- What is the Affordable Care Act?
Learn about the Affordable Care Act, passed in 2010, and the way it's affecting health care reform.
- How does health care reform affect me?
We’ve put together a personal guide to help you understand the basics of health care reform.
- What can I expect from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan during health care reform?
We’re implementing the new health care laws with your best interest in mind. Our team of experts stay up-to-date on the latest regulations to make sure we’re prepared for the future.
- How will health care reform affect my premium?
Wondering how the ACA will impact your health care costs? We can help you understand what to expect.
- I don’t want to lose the coverage I have today. What can I do?
You don’t have to worry about losing coverage with us because of health care reform.
- Will insurers cover everyone regardless of health status?
We’ve always provided health insurance coverage to anyone regardless of health status. By 2014, everyone else will have to join us.
- I’m currently uninsured. How does health care reform help me?
In 2014, you’ll be able to use the state health insurance exchange to shop for health insurance.
- What’s the exchange?
Learn more about the exchange, a marketplace that creates a new and transparent method of buying health insurance.
- Will Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan participate in the exchange?
Learn more about the steps we're taking to be ready for open enrollment in the exchange in October 2013.
- What if I can't afford to buy health insurance?
Get more information about the criteria and steps to take for getting premium payment assistance.
- What’s the Federal Poverty Level?
We can help you understand how the Federal Poverty Level is calculated by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Does the health care reform law require everyone to buy health insurance?
Get more information about how health care reform is designed to make health care affordable and available to all people.
- Can I stay on my parents’ health care plan?
The Affordable Care Act has changed the rules for how long children can stay on a parent's health care plan. Learn more about how this affects you.
- Where can I get more information about health care reform?
Find out where to go learn more about health care reform and the Affordable Care Act.