Who is this for?
If you're a Blue Care Network (HMO) plan member, this information will help you learn how to get health care while you're temporarily living outside of Michigan.
As an HMO (Blue Care Network) plan member, you can get health care while you are temporarily living outside of Michigan, but within the United States, through BlueCard®. BlueCard is a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association program that gives you access to doctors anywhere within the United States and outside of Michigan where a Blue plan is offered.
To find a BlueCard participating doctor:
- Call 1-800-810-BLUE (2583)
- Or use the Blue National Doctor & Hospital Finder℠
Your coverage includes routine, urgent and follow-up care while on extended stays outside of Michigan.
In the event of an emergency:
- If you are in the United States, go to the nearest hospital emergency room or call 911. In most cases, you should not have to complete claim forms or pay up front for health care expenses, except for your usual out-of-pocket expenses like copays.
- If you are outside of the United States, go to the nearest hospital emergency room. You may be asked to pay at the time you receive care. We will reimburse you if the situation meets our criteria for emergency care. Get an itemized bill and any medical records you can obtain to expedite payment. To be reimbursed, use our Member Reimbursement Form (PDF).
Along with your Member Reimbursement form, be sure to include:
- An itemized bill
- Original proof of payment
- The treatment record or emergency report
- The name and dosage of any prescription drug as well as the original prescription receipt
Send the completed form and all supporting materials to:
Blue Care Network
P.O. Box 68767
Grand Rapids, MI 49516-8767