If you have a Metro Detroit EPO Bronze, Silver or Gold plan, you're covered for emergency or accidental injury care when you're traveling in Michigan or out of state. But, you’ll pay the full cost for any non-emergency, routine care you get when you travel outside the EPO network.

How to get care when traveling outside Michigan or the U.S.

  • When traveling outside of your network, whether in the United States or abroad, you're only covered for emergency care and accidental injuries. Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room or urgent care center. Just make sure you have your Blues ID card on you.
  • If you're traveling outside the United States, contact Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core for help finding the nearest hospital. You may need to pay for all costs upfront. Just submit an international claims form, a copy of your medical record, an itemized bill and proof of payment to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center. Find claim forms at the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core website.
  • Purchase a GeoBlue insurance plan to get the same comprehensive care you're used to at home. You can get it for international vacation, business travel or even study abroad. Find out more details on our international plans page