How can I find out if my doctor is in my plan's network?
Who is this for?
If you're shopping for a health care plan on healthcare.gov, here's how to find out if your doctor is in the plan's network before you buy it.
Not all doctors participate in every network. So if you want to go to a specific doctor, it's important to make sure they are in your plan's network. Here's how.
HMO networks (Blue Care Network plans)
If you're thinking of buying a Preferred, Select or Partnered plan and want to keep your current primary care physician, you'll need to make sure they are in that plan's network. To do this:
1. Go to our Find a Doctor tool and click on Get Started.
2. Click on I want to find a Primary Care Physician in my plan.
3. On step 2 in the dropdown menu, select Individual and Family Market Plans (under 65).
4. Select the network of the plan you've chosen.
If you find that your primary care physician is not in the plan's network, you'll need to choose another plan or pick a new primary care physician.
PPO network (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan plans)
With a PPO plan, you can choose any doctor you want, both in- and out-of-network, and still be covered. But you’ll pay less when you go to a health care professional or facility in our network. To check if your current doctor is in our network, follow the steps above.
For more information about our networks and how they can affect your choice of doctors, read What do I need to know about the Blue Cross networks?
- What's the difference between HMO and PPO plans?
- What's the difference between in-network and out-of-network benefits?
- Important deadlines for 2014 open enrollment
- Individual and family health insurance - check out our MyBlue℠ plan options designed to fit your health care needs and your budget.