How do I change an individual or family plan?
Who is this for?
If you purchase your own health coverage and are wondering when and how you can change your plan, this explains your options.
Having health insurance is important. Having the right health insurance is just as important. When you need to change your plan, we'll help you understand what you can do and when you can do it.
When can I change a plan?
You have two opportunities:
- During open enrollment. To get coverage for 2017, open enrollment is Nov. 1, 2016 - Jan. 31, 2017.
- During special enrollment. You're eligible if you've had certain changes in your life, also called qualifying events.
These are the only times you can change a plan. If you miss open enrollment, or don’t qualify for a special enrollment period, you’ll have to wait.
How do I change my plan during open enrollment?
How you change your plan depends on how you purchased the one you already have.
- If you purchased your plan on bcbsm.com, you can sign up for a new plan online, too. We'll do the rest. Get started here.
- If you purchased the plan you want to change through a health plan advisor or agent, contact them.
- If you purchased the plan you want to change on healthcare.gov, log in to your account there. See Changing health plans after you enroll to get started.
How do I change my plan during special enrollment?
When you have certain changes in your life, you don't have to wait for open enrollment to change your plan. Generally, you can do it up to 60 days after the event any time during the year. For more information, see How do I buy or change a plan during special enrollment?