Buying Individual Health Insurance FAQ
Who is this for?
If you’re in the market for individual health insurance, this information will help you understand the terminology and the differences between plans. Select a question from the list below to learn more.
- What’s individual health insurance?
We help you understand what it means to purchase individual health insurance and who can be covered.
- What’s the difference between individual and employer-sponsored health insurance?
Not sure what kind of coverage you're eligible for? We can help you understand.
- Is individual health insurance right for me?
There are many factors that can help you decide if individual insurance will work for you.
- What individual health insurance plans are available?
Whether you're age 25 and thinking about starting a family or you're age 65 and thinking about joining Medicare, we have a plan for you.
- What’s a premium?
Learn more about your premium, the monthly amount you pay to your health insurance company to maintain your health care coverage.
- What’s a deductible?
Get more information about your deductible, the amount you pay for health care services before your health insurance begins to pay.
- What’s a copay?
Find out more about your copay, the fixed amount you pay for health care when you receive service.
- What’s coinsurance?
Learn more about coinsurance, your share of health care costs that's usually figured as a percentage of the total charge for service.
- What’s an out-of-pocket maximum?
An out-of-pocket maximum is the most you will have to pay during a policy period for health care services you receive.
- What’s the difference between an HMO and a PPO?
Learn what HMO and PPO plans offer and which might be best for your health care needs.
- What’s a network?
A network is formed when health insurance companies arrange contracts with a group of health care professionals or doctors.
- What’s the difference between in-network and out-of-network benefits?
Learn more about how your health care costs will be affected when you choose in-network or out-of-network services.
- What’s the difference between light, balanced and extended plans?
We offer a variety of health care plans. We can help you choose the one that best fits you and your family's lifestyle.
- How can I know I’m purchasing the right health insurance policy?
- Career Transitions FAQ
- Health Coverage Tax Credit FAQ
- What do I need to do to get started with my HMO plan?
- Individual and family health insurance - check out our MyBlue℠ plan options designed to fit your health care needs and your budget.