How do I change an individual or family plan?
Who is this for?
If you purchase your own health coverage and are wondering when and how you can change your plan, this explains your options.
Having health insurance is important. Having the right health insurance is just as important. When you need to change your plan, we'll help you understand what you can do and when you can do it.
Note: This information is for people who buy their own health insurance and aren’t eligible for Medicare. If you get your health coverage through an employer, contact them about when you can change your plan. If you need information about buying or changing a Medicare plan, visit our Medicare site.
When can I change a plan?
You have two opportunities:
- During open enrollment. To get coverage for 2015, open enrollment is Nov. 15, 2014 - Feb. 15, 2015.
- During special enrollment. You're eligible if you've had certain changes in your life, also called qualifying events.
These are the only times you can change a plan. If you miss open enrollment, or don’t qualify for a special enrollment period, you’ll have to wait.
How do I change my plan during open enrollment?
How you change your plan depends on how you purchased the one you already have.
- If you purchased your plan on bcbsm.com, you can sign up for a new plan online, too. We'll do the rest. Get started here.
- If you purchased the plan you want to change through a health plan advisor or agent, contact them.
- If you purchased the plan you want to change on healthcare.gov, log in to your account there. See Changing health plans after you enroll to get started.
If you want your new plan to start Jan. 1, 2015, be sure to make changes by Dec. 15, 2014.
How do I change my plan during special enrollment?
When you have certain changes in your life, you don't have to wait for open enrollment to change your plan. Generally, you can do it up to 60 days after the event any time during the year. For more information, see Do I qualify for special enrollment? If you qualify, here's how to change your plan.
If you're already a member and your enrollee ID starts with XYE, XYW, JXB or JXI
You'll need to log in to your account on healthcare.gov to change your plan. You can also call 1-800-318-2596. See Changing health plans after you enroll to get started.
If you're already a member and your enrollee ID starts with XYB, XYG, XYH, XYQ or JXC
Call the number on the back of your Blues ID card or contact your agent and you'll get help changing your plan.
I just signed up and want to change my plan, but I haven't received an enrollee ID card yet
- Do I qualify for a special enrollment period?
- How can I know I'm purchasing the right health insurance plan?
- Individual and family health insurance - check out our MyBlue℠ plans designed to fit your health care needs and your budget.