HMO / Blue Care Network
At Blue Care Network, we provide coverage that helps you easily find health care when you’re sick or injured. You can find information about how an HMO works and the quality health care benefits we provide in the articles below. You can also find out more about Blue Care Network in the About Us section.
As a member, you can enjoy the benefits of belonging to the only HMO backed by the reputation and security of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for, call Customer Service at 1-800-662-6667 and we'll help.
Find other ways to contact Blue Care Network here.
Frequently asked questions
- What do I need to do to get started with my HMO plan?
Did you just sign up for one of our HMO plans? Just follow these few simple steps to get the most out of your coverage.
How to prepare for your first doctor visit
Are you seeing a new doctor or primary care physician for the first time? These tools can help you get ready.
- How can I choose or change my primary care physician online?
It's easy to manage your health care information online. Find out how to make changes or choose your primary care physician here.
Getting started with Healthy Blue LivingSM
Find out more about the requirements for this HMO plan.
How my plan works
What's the difference between HMOs, PPOs and EPOs?
This gives an in-depth look at our plans, letting you know what to expect from each type.
- How do deductibles, coinsurance and copays work?
This page defines the common terms deductible, coinsurance and copay, and explains how they affect your health care costs.
- What do I need to know about primary care physicians and specialists?
Learn more about your options for getting care from primary care physicians and specialists.
- What’s the difference between in-network and out-of-network benefits?
Learn how choosing between in-network or out-of-network doctors and facilities can affect how much you pay for your health care services.
- How do referrals work in my HMO plan?
Learn how to get referrals from your primary care physician and what you need them for.
How to use my benefits
- How to use your HMO benefits
Do you have an HMO health insurance plan? Learn about your benefits and how to get care.
- Can I see a specialist I’ve seen before?
Learn about our policies for covering specialist visits here.
- How quickly can I expect to get a doctor’s appointment?
If you are an HMO plan member, find out what to expect when scheduling your doctors' appointments.
- How to get care while you're traveling
Find out how to take your health care benefits with you no matter where you travel.
- What is the Health Advocate™ program?
Our Health Advocate program helps Blue Care Network and GlidePath members sort through complex coverage issues.
My drug benefit
- How can I understand my Blue Care Network prescription drug benefits?
If you have prescription drug coverage through Blue Care Network, we help you to easily figure out your benefits.
- Why won’t you cover the drug my doctor prescribed?
Learn more about our prescription drug policies and what steps you can take to get coverage.
- How do I know if my plan covers my prescription drug?
Find out if your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network plan covers your prescription drug.
- Why do I need prior authorization for a prescription drug?
Learn what prior authorization means and how to find out if a drug is billed as a medical or pharmacy coverage benefit.
Managing my account
- How can I resolve a problem with my HMO coverage?
Learn how to report a problem with your claim using the grievance and appeals process.
- Do I need to inform Blue Care Network if I have additional health insurance?
Learn why it's important for you to tell us about all of your active health care coverage and how we can help you coordinate your benefits.
Plan documents and forms
- Blue Care Network Handbooks and Brochures
If you get your HMO coverage through Blue Care Network, you can get the information about your plan and options in one convenient place.
- Healthy Blue Living℠ BCN Qualification Form
Fill out the Blue Care Network qualification form with your doctor to enroll in a Healthy Blue Living plan.