What medical expenses can I pay with my Healthy Blue℠ HSA?
According to the Internal Revenue Service, health savings accounts can be used to pay for:
- Your eligible medical expenses, which include most medical, dental and vision services and prescription drugs.
- Your health insurance premiums under COBRA continuation coverage.
- Your health insurance premiums if you’re getting unemployment compensation.
- Your Medicare Part A or Part B premiums if you’re enrolled in Medicare.
- Your qualified long-term care insurance premiums.
Eligible medical expenses for HSAs are defined in Section 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code.
You can download our Qualified Medical Expenses (PDF) for a reference list to help you decide if a medical expense is eligible for HSA reimbursement. This list is just a guide. You’ll want to look at Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses (PDF) from the IRS website or talk to a professional legal or tax advisor to know for sure if an expense is eligible.