Employee Volunteer Programs
As a company, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan invests in communities in Michigan through grants, programs and more that promote good health.
Our employees are just as dedicated. The Blues Caring Crew volunteers give more than 50,000 hours of service to local nonprofits every year.
They’ve taken many steps to support:
- The American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
- The American Heart Association Heart Walk (160 employees, including 59 team captains, walked their way to raising more than $16,000)
- The American Kidney Association Kidney Walk
- The Crohn's and Colitis Walk
They buddied up with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit:
- As part of the Lunch Buddies program, more than 200 employee volunteers have met with children in Southeast Michigan schools. They help students with school work and talk to them about exercise and good nutrition.
- In 2012, 88 teams of employees from around the state raised more than $51,000 for the Big Brothers Big Sisters’ Bowl for Kids’ Sake fundraiser.
They climbed to the top for the Fight for Air Climb:
- To promote awareness and prevention of lung disease, four teams of employee volunteers participated in the American Lung Association’s Fight for Air Climb. The teams climbed to the top of the Renaissance Center towers and into second place, while raising more than $11,000.
United they stand for United Way:
- More than $3 million raised over the past five years for fundraising campaigns that support United Way.
Employee volunteers have also participated in fundraising activities for the Alzheimer's Association, Capuchin Kitchen, Crash's Animal Shelter, God's Kitchen, Meals on Wheels, Special Olympics and the U.P. Paw Animal Shelter.