We develop new partnerships with a diverse group of suppliers and business partners to better serve Michigan communities. We have close to 200 diverse suppliers right now.
We're exceeding industry standards. In 2013, we spent $152.8 million with minority-owned businesses and $101 million with women-owned businesses.
The suppliers we work with also include businesses owned by veterans, members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and people with disabilities.
We devote resources to diverse businesses in these areas:
- Health care services—Wellness and other health care programs, care management and call centers.
- Information technology—Hardware, software, communications and information technology services, temporary help and consulting.
- Administrative services—Training, temporary help, advertising, printing and facilities management.
We also encourage our main contractors to use diverse suppliers when they work with us.
We help diverse suppliers succeed by:
- Hosting the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council's Project One module. It's a monthly meeting with 15 minority businesses to network and discuss business developments.
- Promoting the value of working with diverse suppliers by sharing best practices, webinars and presentations.
- Using contracts and training programs with our subsidiaries to support our diversity goals.
- Hosting the annual Supplier Diversity Achievement Awards.
We've developed partnerships throughout the community with organizations like:
- Center for Empowerment and Economic Development
- Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council
- Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Women Business Owners
Become a supplier
"Diversity and inclusion at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is vital to the success of our organization in many aspects. One of these key contributors to our success within the diversity and inclusion field is our commitment to supplier diversity.
Because our customers and subscribers consist of diverse populations, we seek to convey an inclusive approach to our community, our clients and our suppliers. We look for opportunities to form partnerships and strategic alliances to further expand our commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan seeks to improve the health of Michigan citizens and its business environment. Our supplier diversity initiatives support us in that effort."
— Tricia Keith, Senior Vice President, Corporate Secretary and Services