Who we are
- A nonprofit health care organization founded in 1939
- The largest health insurer in Michigan: 4.4 million members, or more than 40 percent of the state’s total population (with 1.1 million more members in other states)
- The largest network of doctors and hospitals in Michigan: 158 hospitals, nearly 30,000 doctors
- An independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- A member of the Alliance for Advancing Nonprofit Health Care
Chairman of the Board: Gregory A. Sudderth
President and CEO: Daniel J. Loepp
Our main locations: Detroit (corporate headquarters),
Number of employees: more than 7,000
What we do
Design, sell and manage health benefit plans for individuals, families and Michigan-based employers, including:
- Traditional plans
- PPO (preferred provider organization) plans
- HMO (health maintenance organization) plans
- Wellness-based plans
- Plans with health spending accounts
- Dental, vision and hearing plans
- Administer Medicare plans for more than 270,000 customers
- Administer benefit plans for more than 84,000 federal employees and their dependents in Michigan
- Process more than 84 million claims annually
- Carry out our nonprofit mission to give all Michigan residents access to reasonably priced, quality health care, and improve the health of Michigan’s people, communities, economy and health care system
- Have one of the first LEED-certified parking decks in the nation—with a “living” roof
Doctors, dollars and cents
- $18.2 billion in benefits paid to doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.
- $400 million in savings through our pharmacy benefit management programs.
- More than 3,000 PCMH-designated doctors in the Patient-Centered Medical Home program as of August 2012. By taking a preventive approach to patient care, PCMH practices reduce health care costs by up to 23.8 percent.
- In three years, our Value Partnerships program lowered complication and mortality rates for thousands of patients getting surgery in Michigan hospitals, and saved $232.8 million in health care costs.
- By helping members stay healthier, BlueHealthConnection® savings reached more than $90 million.
- Our Health Care Fraud Investigation Unit is the oldest and most successful operation of its kind in the U.S. They’ve recovered more than $300 million in 20 years.
Unless otherwise noted, amounts listed are from the most recent figures available (2011).