Who we are
- A nonprofit mutual insurance company founded in 1939
- The largest health insurer in Michigan, serving 4.4 million people here and 1.3 million more in other states
- The largest network of doctors and hospitals in Michigan: 155 hospitals, and more than 30,000 doctors
- An independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- A member of the Alliance for Advancing Nonprofit Health Care
Our main locations: Detroit (corporate headquarters),
Southfield (Blue Care Network corporate headquarters),
Grand Rapids and Lansing
Number of employees: more than 7,500
What we do
Design, sell and manage health benefit plans for individuals, families and Michigan-based employers, including:
- Traditional plans
- PPO (preferred provider organization) plans
- HMO (health maintenance organization) plans
- Wellness-based plans
- Plans with health spending accounts
- Dental and vision plans
Partnering to improve health
- Since 2009, our Building Healthy Communities program has provided $3.7 million in funding to 187 elementary schools, helping more than 83,000 students eat healthier and be more active.
- Through our Strengthening the Safety Net program, we've donated more than $9 million since 2005 to health clinics across the state.
- We saved more than $597 million statewide from 2008 to 2012 through five of our long-standing Collaborative Quality Initiatives with hospitals and doctors.
- Our Patient-Centered Medical Home program is the largest in the nation, and has saved an estimated $155 million in costs to the health care system.
- Last year, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and its subsidiaries paid $18.8 billion in claims to doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.
- Over the next 18 years, we’ll contribute $1.56 billion to the Michigan Health Endowment Fund to help reduce costs and improve the quality of health care.
Unless otherwise noted, amounts listed are from the most recent figures available (2013).