Who we are
- A nonprofit health care organization founded in 1939
- A mutual company beginning in 2014
- The largest health insurer in Michigan: 4.4 million members in Michigan and 1.2 million more members in other states
- The largest network of doctors and hospitals in Michigan: 156 hospitals, nearly 30,000 doctors
- An independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- A member of the Alliance for Advancing Nonprofit Health Care
- We subsidize coverage for individuals, especially the most vulnerable among us, so they can afford high-quality health insurance
Chairman of the Board: Gregory A. Sudderth
President and CEO: Daniel J. Loepp
Our main locations: Detroit (corporate headquarters),
Number of employees: more than 7,000
As part of our commitment to the city, we relocated 3,400
suburban-based workers to downtown Detroit. Our unified
campus holds more than 6,400 employees.
What we do
Design, sell and manage health benefit plans for individuals, families and Michigan-based employers, including:
- Traditional plans
- PPO (preferred provider organization) plans
- HMO (health maintenance organization) plans
- Wellness-based plans
- Plans with health spending accounts
- Dental and vision plans
Partnering to improve health
- Since 2009, our Building Healthy Communities program has provided nearly $2.7 million in funding to elementary schools to help more than 35,000 students eat healthier and be more active.
- We’ve provided nearly $8 million since 2005 to free health clinics across the state through our Strengthening the Safety Net program.
- We saved more than $400 million statewide over three years, through five of our long-standing Collaborative Quality Initiatives with hospitals and doctors.
- Our Patient-Centered Medical Home program is the largest in the nation for the fifth consecutive year.
- In the last year, we’ve paid $18.6 billion in claims to doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.
Unless otherwise noted, amounts listed are from the most recent figures available (2012).