Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I find information on Medicare Enrollment?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network agents learn how to enroll Medicare-eligible individuals in our suite of products.
- What is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996?
HIPAA is legislation enacted by the federal government to reduce health care fraud and abuse, guarantee the confidentiality of health information, among others.
- Who must comply with HIPAA?
HIPAA applies to health insurance carriers, group-sponsored health plans, health care providers, health-care clearing houses, among others.
- How do I request the HIPAA policies and procedures on privacy compliance?
See our privacy practices for additional information.
Department of Labor
- What is ERISA?
ERISA is an acronym for the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974.
- What types of claims are affected by DOL regulations?
All pre-service, urgent care and post-service facility, professional, dental, vision and others are affected by the regulations.
- What are the DOL timeframes for notifying members of determinations on appeals?
The Department of Labor's timeframes for appeal determinations vary depending on what type of claim the member has: pre-service, urgent care or post-service care claim.
Medicare Retiree Drug Subsidy
- What's the Medicare Retiree Drug Subsidy?
The Retiree Drug Subsidy Program is designed to encourage employers and unions to continue providing high-quality prescription drug coverage to their Medicare-eligible retirees.
- Are the Retiree Drug Subsidy and Part D Subsidy the same program?
he Part D Subsidy is a program administered by the Social Security Administration that reduces out-of-pocket costs paid by Part D enrollees.
- Why am I unable to view costs if Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan submitted a mainframe cost report?
The most common reason why you are unable to view costs is because we are not designated as the vendor to report costs.