Supplier Diversity Program
At the Blues, we believe that creating opportunities throughout the community is essential to our success. We want to increase the number of qualified businesses working with us. We want to attract diverse businesses, so we:
- Give fair and impartial consideration.
- Encourage competition for our contracts.
- Identify areas where special opportunities exist.
- Increase the number of dollars that we spend working with diverse companies.
We will establish best-in-class business development practices that empower the diverse communities we serve. We will seek to maximize the inclusion of all diverse groups, with fair and impartial consideration in the procurement of goods and services to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
How we fulfill this mission
We help diverse suppliers succeed by:
- Hosting the annual Supplier Diversity Achievement Awards.
- Hosting the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council's Project One module. It's a monthly meeting with 15 minority businesses to network and discuss business developments.
- Promoting the value of working with diverse suppliers by sharing best practices, webinars and presentations.
- Using contracts and training programs with our subsidiaries to support diversity goals.
- Having our Supplier Diversity Procurement Council establish, advance and monitor progress towards diversity goals.
- Making sure we consistently meet or exceed our corporate goal of spending with diverse suppliers.
We've developed partnerships throughout the community with organizations like:
- Center for Empowerment and Economic Development – Women’s Business Enterprise Great Lakes
- Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council
- Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Women Business Owners
We've received recognition from some of our partners for our supplier diversity.
Diverse suppliers, just like all of our suppliers, will be expected to:
- Meet their commitment on delivering the highest quality product and service.
- Offer suggestions on how to source more efficiently.
- Provide competitive pricing.
- Be responsive and timely with delivery.