Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan continues commitment to supplier diversity through seventh annual awards program
February 8, 2012
DETROIT — Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan honored 11 women- and minority-owned businesses today as part of its seventh annual Supplier Diversity Achievement Awards program. More than 260 guests attended the event at the Blues’ downtown Detroit offices, where 11 awards were distributed, including a new award for achievement in health care value. The new award recognizes a diverse supplier demonstrating excellence and customer loyalty through the delivery of health care products.
Supplier of the year and diverse supplier achievement awards for both women and minority business enterprises were also presented. Awards were distributed on behalf of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and its subsidiaries, including Blue Care Network, Accident Fund Holdings, Inc., and LifeSecure.
Blue Cross spent $175 million dollars with minority- and women-owned businesses in 2011, exceeding its corporate goal by more than 60 percent.
“Partnerships and innovation are the keys to our success,” said BCBSM President and Chief Executive Officer Daniel J. Loepp. “Our diverse supplier partners play a significant role in helping Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to transform its operations, deliver value to customers and improve the health of our entire state. We count on these partners in running our business each day and in helping to strengthen Michigan’s great core cities.”
BCBSM’s commitment to supplier diversity has been recognized with numerous awards, including:
- America’s Top Organizations for Multicultural Business Opportunities, 2011 to 2012, diversitybusiness.com
- Champion of Diversity Award, 2010, Center for Empowerment and Economic Development
- Corporation of the Year Award in health care, 2007 to 2010, Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council
”We are proud to contribute to the economic health of Michigan and believe our commitment to diversity contributes to our success and the overall health of the business community,” said James Line, Blues director of Corporate Procurement.
Women and minority business enterprises honored during today’s event include:
- Barton Malow – 2011 Supplier Diversity Champion Achievement Award
- DrFirst.com – 2011 Diverse Supplier Achievement Award for Health Care Value
- Wireless Resources, Inc. – 2011 New Diverse Supplier of the Year Award
- Arrow Strategies – 2011 Diverse Supplier Achievement Award for Minority Business Enterprises (MBE)
- Alliance Technology Solutions, LLC – 2011 Diverse Supplier Achievement Award for Women’s Business Enterprises (WBE)
- Resource Point LLC – Accident Fund 2011 Diverse Supplier Achievement Award
- EMB Designs – LifeSecure 2011 Diverse Supplier Achievement Award
Four additional awards were presented to Blue Cross departments and staff for excellence in achieving their supplier diversity goals.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, a nonprofit organization, provides and administers health benefits to 4.3 million members residing in Michigan in addition to members of Michigan-headquartered groups who reside outside the state. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more company information, visit bcbsm.com.