Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan congratulates the winners of its Supplier Diversity Achievement Awards
Diversity initiative hailed as an economic engine for Michigan
February 10, 2010
DETROIT - Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan on Tuesday announced the winners of its fifth annual Supplier Diversity Achievement Awards for 2009. The event recognizes women- and minority-owned businesses who supply products and services to the Blues as well as employee efforts to diversify business procurement.
In 2009, Blue Cross spent roughly $109 million on women- and minority-owned business enterprises, an amount that supports 2,200 Michigan jobs. Having a robust, diverse supply base is central to the Blues mission of streamlining its business, lowering costs for customers and improving the health of its members.
"Together, we're investing in this state and we'll contribute to its revitalization," President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp said.
"Renewal and revitalization will happen here in Michigan, but not without our collective will. Together we can make it happen."
Blue Cross and subsidiaries Blue Care Network, Accident Fund Insurance Company of America and LifeSecure Insurance Co. distributed 11 awards across eight categories during a breakfast program at its downtown Detroit offices. The winners are listed below.
- 2009 New Supplier of the Year Award: V2Soft Inc.
- Buyer Achievement Award: Ulysee Rice Jr. (employee)
- George F. Francis III Supplier Diversity Achievement Award: Michael Bryson (employee)
- Supplier Diversity Champion Achievement Award: OMNI Facilities Services
- Team Project Award: The information technology development center (Strategic Staffing Solutions Inc. and employees Eric Newton; Joseph Fritsch; Gary Harvey; and Michael Bryson)
- Business Unit Achievement Award: Federal Business Division (employees Mark Owen; Pierre McDougall; Narendra Polakampalli; Bonnie Harrington; Susan Kuypers; Pete Thomas; Steven Hoffman; Rene Mocan; and Brian Rohrkemper)
- Diverse Supplier Achievement Award — Woman Business Enterprise: ICONMA LLC
- Accident Fund — Diverse Supplier Achievement Award: w3r Consulting
- Blue Care Network of Michigan — Diverse Supplier Achievement Award: VisionIT Inc.
- LifeSecure Insurance Co. — Diverse Supplier Achievement Award: Alliance Technology Solutions LLC
- Diverse Supplier Achievement Award — Minority Business Enterprise: Information Systems Resources
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, a nonprofit organization, provides and administers health benefits to 4.7 million members residing in Michigan in addition to members of Michigan-headquartered groups who reside outside the state. The company offers a broad variety of plans including: Traditional Blue Cross Blue Shield; Blue Preferred®, Community Blue℠ and Healthy Blue Incentives℠ PPOs; Blue Care Network HMO; BCN Healthy Blue Living℠; Flexible Blue℠ plans compatible with health savings accounts; Medicare Advantage; Part D Prescription Drug plans, and MyBlue℠ products in the under-age-65 individual market. The Blues also offer dental, vision and hearing plans. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more company information, visit bcbsm.com.