Become a Blues Agent
Welcome to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network.
It's exciting that you're interested in becoming an independent, contracted agent for us. Our agents are key members of our team. They help us to deliver quality and affordable health care to Michigan communities.
Because we value our agents, we place a high priority on their having a rewarding relationship with us. In addition to our competitive commissions and incentives, consider the other benefits of being a Blues agent:
- You represent the largest nonprofit health coverage carrier and HMO in the state of Michigan. No other carrier comes close to the number of hospitals, doctors and other health care professionals in our statewide networks. We are well-known and respected around the world.
- You can offer your customers a wide range of health plan options tailored to fit the unique needs and pocketbook of any employer group or individual.
- You and your customers will have peace of mind, knowing that our coverage is guaranteed renewable. We'll never turn anyone away based on health status.
- You can count on our stability. After 70 years, we're stronger than ever.
Simply put, we're not your average health care company. We're committed to offering the greatest value in health care: keeping costs down for our customers, with resources and programs that encourage wellness and healthy lifestyles.
Join the team
To start the contracting process:
- Secure a valid Michigan insurance license with accident and health qualifications. If you need information on how to obtain your license, visit the State of Michigan website. Go to the General Information box. If you reside in Michigan, select How to become licensed as a resident producer. If you live outside Michigan, select How to become licensed as a non-resident producer.
- Contact a managing agent or general agent from the lists below. Your managing agent or general agent will be your partner and mentor during the contracting process and once you begin selling Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network products.
- A managing agent is a large insurance agency that contracts exclusively with the Blues to assist and support agents in the marketing, sales and service of group and individual products. Use this helpful map to identify a managing agent near you: Managing Agent Service Areas (PDF).
- A general agent is a large insurance agency that serves the same function, but works only with Blues individual health insurance products. General agents don't have an exclusive relationship with the Blues, so they can also sell other health plans.
- Complete Agent Contracting Training. Your managing agent or general agent will give you an access code for the online Agent Contracting Training program. Once you have your access code, go to the Agent Contracting Training page and begin your training.
Thanks again for your interest in becoming a Blues agent. We look forward to your joining our team.